IP

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

You Are Not Meant for Crawling

Can't remember where I got this story from. Many thanks to the forgotten author. But anyhow, it's for us to ponder. How are we been caged! So sad :( Just read and reflect. Where are we? Enjoy reading


The story ...

I got a shock in a PetSmart store.

On the floor was a glass cage that seemed as large as a full-sized bed. And it had no cover!

Inside the cage was a half-dozen brightly colored parakeets. They walked, hopped and jumped, with just enough pseudo-flapping to go from one caged branch to another. But they did not fly, even though there was more than enough room for them to do so. I stood there, amazed by the irony of a "cage" that was completely open on top.

An employee saw me staring and asked, "Are you interested in one of those lil' guys?"

"No, thanks. I'm just here for cat food," I answered. "But I don't get it... what stops those birds from trying to fly out?"

"Oh, they were born caged," he said, "so now they're just conditioned not to fly. It would never occur to them to try and escape."

Seeing those parakeets both bothered and helped me. Seeing them made me really think about my beliefs and goals. How many limitations are real, or just imagined? Have I limited my relationships or work-life with a cage that actually has no top? Can you imagine... pitifully hopping around on the ground, when you could have been in flight all along?

Anyone can be vulnerable to false limitations. But this might be especially true for sensitive people who, emerging in an insensitive world, might require a little extra encouragement to make use of those wings. Those wonderful, powerful wings.


"You were born with greatness.
You were born with wings.
You are not meant for crawling, so don't!
You have wings. Learn to use them and fly!"

1 comment: