IP

Friday, May 21, 2010

Regret and forgive...

“Think of regret as like looking in the rear view mirror when you’re driving. To drive forward well, we often use the rear view mirror; we do need to look backwards. That doesn’t mean that we… only look in the rear view mirror….Regret works the same way. It’s useful in moving us forward. ”
–Janet Landman, Ph.D.
Author of “Regret: The Persistence of the Possible”

Everyone has made poor choices or done something in their past that could possibly be labeled as "regrettable." But, think about it. The fact that you are now able to look back and realize that a mistake or mis-step occurred means you have learned a valuable lesson. Some of my choices may have landed me in unpleasant circumstances, but experiencing these things certainly built my current character. I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for those character-building situations. Mistakes are stepping stones to an evolving life. No need for you to sink into regret or despair

Regret is almost unavoidable, because we don’t really know what we want. Considering what is important to you when you make decisions may help you reduce regret.

I have had a very trying time, full of discovering different levels of deception, my mind, and heart, have been so consumed with these 'things' that have happened, that I haven't been able to think clearly or even have a moment of peace.

Forgiveness is a gift you give to yourself. It is not something you do for someone else. It is not complicated. It is simple. Simply identify the situation to be forgiven and ask yourself: "Am I willing to waste my energy further on this matter?" If the answer is "No," then that's it! All is forgiven.

1 comment:

  1. i like this... write more, and have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete